Thursday 15 October 2015

WHY I'M SETTING MYSELF A 30 DAY BLOGGING CHALLENGE!

In my last post I spoke about distractions and how Facebook can take me away from things I want to do. Don't get me wrong!  It also provides a network of groups, friends, and opportunities that I would not want to be without! Spending time on Facebook can be like having my closest friends in the same room, but it's all about balance.  Sometimes I get frustrated with myself because I aimlessly witter time away that I could be spending with friends (real or online), creating, or doing other things that I enjoy. It's like the times I have got on the wrong train or driven past my exit on a motorway and need to retrace my journey to be somewhere I want to be.  A little more thought or planning can prevent these diversions, and so it is for me....

And another diversion is when I have things to do that are difficult or I would rather delay or avoid. I came home from my holiday knowing I had things like insurances, tax, and other mundane but essential things to organise. I'm also trying to develop my creative ideas: to organise more workshops, exhibitions and to get myself out there more. It all takes time and sometimes these things overwhelm and drain me. But I overcome these hurdles, I did what I needed to do, and have turned a corner.  Yay!! 



So what did I do?

1.  I put on my big girl knickers and kept going!

Even when I didn't want to. 
BUT I was gentle with myself.  I told myself that obstacles are not meant to deflate or stop us - and that once I have done these things I will feel a sense of achievement and relief.
And I do!  Insurances and tax are sorted. I have moved on!

2. I reached out to others.

I recognised that I am not the only one struggling with these things and that advice, support, and experience of others can be helpful  what is needed. A warm understanding smile helps too!

I made appointments to get help with starting a small business as I want to take more steps.

I joined a local woman's business group and attended my first meeting.

This led to an invitation to a one day local seminar - my ticket is booked!

This also led to me discovering the 30 day Blogging Challenge. I couldn't believe how well this fits with my plan to refocus and reconnect!!
Do you believe in synchronicity?  I do!!
In my last post I said I would think about how to do this. I didn't need to, because the idea presented itself, so I have signed up! It will keep me accountable and on track. Let me pause here... I do not plan to get overwhelmed or whip myself into action! No! If I miss a day or something interferes, that's okay. I do not strive for perfection or accolade, I simply want to have focus and enjoy this experience. And coming back to my previous post again and things learned and said, I plan to spend more time visiting blogs and I will be leaving a comment because it is good to give as well as receive. 

Which brings me back to 'Why I'm Setting Myself a 30 Day Blog Challenge'.  Bare with me.... 
I had an email this morning from my blog-friend Sian Fair, (I am linking this particular post as it is relevant to what I am talking about, but do check out her other posts too!!) Anyway, Sian warned me not to go to Pinterest and another friend said that she looses hours there!  Both these  were in response to me saying how much time I waste on Facebook. And I had a light bulb moment because I love Pinterest but I am drawn to Facebook because it provides interaction with others.  I comment and may get a response. It is a two way thing. Pinterest and other social media platforms are less engaging in this respect. And the richest and most engaging connections for me often happen through blogging. Like Facebook, the interaction with others is important. So that's why I am setting myself this challenge. To readdress the balance. 30 days should get be back into a routine that I can continue and I am looking forward to reconnecting with blog friends and making some new. And here is more synchronicity!  Yesterday Julie Cameron wrote about about finding balance between social media and creativity.  The 'inflow' and 'outflow' as she calls it. Everything seems to be pointing to the same direction. 

3. And there is more!  
I also contacted a local artist-friend because I decided to try and increase my connections.  So this week I went to my first Knit and Natter. It is held in a lovely tea room and I found myself in good company and meeting others who not only knit but blog and love the same things I do.  Why didn't I make more effort to meet before?!!! 
But I guess everything has it's time and place and for me that time is now.

But that's not all.  This connection also led on to me being invited to join a local art group. I went to my first meeting last night and what a wonderful group of people I have met! Already there are talks of possible workshops, exhibitions and events that I can be part of. Exciting times ahead!! 

It's funny how the universe sometimes gives you what you need and everything pulls together. This time last week I was overwhelmed and frustrated. Sometimes we have to be proactive and trust that all will come right. 


Once again I have waffled, said too much more than usual and wonder how many of you have read to the end. If you are still with me thank
you!! And I'd also like to say a big thank you to those who left such long and thought provoking comments on my last post. I was blown away by the response and it gave me to confidence to write again with authenticity and intuition. But don't worry over the next 30 days I will be back to my usual sharing of photos, latest creations, and news. Some of these are already planned but I don't know what things are in store as part of this blogging challenge so watch this space!  I am on an exciting journey!  Which reminds me, my one-word for this year is TRAVEL. How apt!!

I mentioned how the universe sometimes gives you what you need. Well, as part of the 30 day Blogging Challenge I visited two posts written by others who are taking part. I didn't spend time looking - these were both recent posts that looked worth visiting.
Amazing then that they should connect so strongly with me! I thought I would share links and I will try to set up a Pinterest board  which is a learning curve for me. I know some of you are doing Julie's 300 comments in 30 days challenge and are also visiting new blogs so I hope these will be of interest. 

If you like photography or finding ways to take time out you may like this.

In this and my previous post I have written much about feeling overwhelmed and feeling distracted. Funny that the second blog I visited addressed these issues spot on!!  You can see them here and here.   

By the way, let me know if you sign up for the 30 day Blogging Challenge!!  Thanks for popping by, I'll be back tomorrow.

12 comments:

  1. You don't have to worry about reclaiming your "blogging" time now that you've began the 30-Day Blogging Challenge! You're going to be a very busy woman, but in a good way.

    I've just begun my second round, so I look forward to following your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anjela.
      Looking forward to the journey and appreciate you taking time to leave a comment. Good for you, on your second round. It must be good! I'll pop over and say hi sometime soon!

      Delete
  2. Yes! I do believe in synchronicity!!! Thanks for linking to my post Sandie, I sure have enjoyed yours and can really relate to it. Happy to be on this blogging journey with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel, I will be back to read more of your posts. They are so connecting with me!

      Delete
  3. I think it's fantastic that you have joined a Women's Business Group!

    I went back to check what I'd written, because I honestly don't spend hours on Pinterest lol I really don't! In fact, I tend to avoid it when I'm doing DT work for fear of being overly influenced by someone else's pages. I would choose blogging over Pinterest for exactly what you say..the interaction. I can carry on conversations with other bloggers and that just isn't there on Pinterest. In fact I would go further..I've said it before and I'll say it again: there would be no Pinterest and nothing to pin, without bloggers!! Anyway, I checked and what I said was "Pinterest..don't even go there!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Sian, I have rephrased what I said in my post!!! It was another friend who said she spends hours on Pinterest - I really didn't imagine you sitting there lost in pins (not those kind anyway!) and don't want to give the wrong impression!! lol

      As for not wanting to be influenced by others, you clearly are not, Sian! Your unique style stands out (I recognise it straight away!) and it takes time and skill to develop that. So what you say about looking inwards for creativity, rather than outwards, is important. That same point was made by Rachel in one of the links that I included, and by Julia Cameron this week. See, I said there was synchronicity! This is especially important for DT work, I see that. The reason you were chosen is because your work is unique and different.
      Thank you for adding these points Sian and for letting me know I had given the wrong impression. I absolutely agree there would be nothing to pin without bloggers and I heed of your warning and do not go to Pinterest often. If I do it is to create resources so I know where to find them again but like some of my other stashes I add to it but don't go there much to use! lol

      Delete
  4. You have certainly set yourself some challenges. I have read both your recent blogs but have not had time(!) to comment. I have done the reverse to you swaying from Facebook to blogging. Blogging is very satisfying but I still pop to Facebook to see what friends are up to and have a laugh with them.
    When I started my blog I decided to post every day without really knowing what I was letting myself in for. It's quite a challenge at times thinking ahead to what I shall post each week. I keep a few reserves. Good luck and I look forward to seeing your 30 days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Maggie, I am really enjoying the experience and ideas everyone is sharing. Funny how we sway from one social media to another. Since I joined a couple of active FB groups that has taken me away from visiting blogs as much as I used to and I miss this interaction with online friends. I will still continue with Facebook and my groups but I will stop the mindless scrolling and checking. I'm aware I could start doing that in blogland but I am holding on to this awareness and I will mention this in todays post.
      I don't have a problem knowing what to blog about as my head is full of ideas and I have a whole stream of drafts that I started and not come back to, but I want to focus on interesting posts rather than quantity so will be mindful where this goes.
      Good to know that you will be joining me in this adventure, thanks Maggie!

      Delete
  5. Okay, I'm back. First of all, thank you for listening and editing. Secondly: my thoughts on my love/hate relationship with Pinterest probably deserve a whole post of my own. I'm saddened that Pinterest seems to be creating a complete mind shift on the idea of intellectual property and copyright. All the time we see I found it on Pinterest".Um, no: Pinterest only pointed you in the direction of the creative person who posted the project. Or we see "Pinterest is amazing". Again, no. Pinterest is a clever idea; but it's the bloggers who work away providing gorgeously inspiring content to be freely passed around the internet who are amazing. I could go on..Anyway,thanks again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can feel myself backing away Sian, you warned me about Pinterest and you are so right! It could open a can of worms all of its own and no, I don't plan to go there! But I agree completely! It is a tool, nothing more. As you say, without bloggers writing and sharing interesting posts and others pinning them there would be little for Pinterest to claim. I've still not mastered how to pin unless a button is provided so that's something I may look at one day, but for now if this has ruffled your feathers enough to write about one day I shall look forward to reading your post! LOL

      Delete
  6. It does sound like the universe is moving for you, Sandie! Very exciting. And oh, my goodness, I so sympathise with the losing-hours-of-your-life-in-social-media affliction. :D Pinterest is a dangerous business. It's inspiring, but for me it's a bit like looking up a dictionary or encyclopedia: you go there for one thing and are still flicking through it hours later! I definitely agree about FB, though. Our papery group is such an inspiration and support. Without them I'd feel extremely isolated.
    You've given us lots of enticing links to follow: I'm off to explore!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sandie! Not sure I've visited your blog before, but I am participating in Julie's 300 comments in 30 days and have come to you via Alison at Life in the Slow Lane. Interesting post, and I am off to read some more of your blog! As for Pinterest, I use it as a tool. For example, I am decorating a spare bedroom to become my craft room at the moment, so will look around the internet for ideas and then 'pin' these for inspiration all in one place. Good luck with your blog challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...